My American Friends,
2016 is the year you should absolutely travel inside and outside of the country, and here are five reasons why:
- The United States Dollar has been getting the best exchange rate EVER. This is only a slight exaggeration. Right now for an American Dollar you can get .92 Euros, or .73 Great British Pounds, or 1.40 Australian Dollars just to name a few! This is the best it’s been in a good long while for Americans traveling outside of the country. Though it may not be good for US trade, you should take advantage and strike while the iron is hot.
- Gas prices are real real low, and they are projected to stay real real low for the rest of the year. That means it’s the perfect time for a road trip. Need more reasons to go on a road trip this year? It’s the Centennial of the US National Park Service. There are great lineups at the country’s biggest music festivals (think Coachella and Bonaroo). You can now rent a tiny home on a trailer to take with you! It’s not just the US that are seeing these low prices either, it is a good time to go on a drive just about anywhere.
- Another effect of these low gas prices is that airfare is also seeing a dive in price. If you have been putting off buying that plane ticket to that faraway place because it’s just too expensive, now is the time to get that deal. My suggestion? Go to skyscanner.com and do a flight search. Enter your home airport and search for flights to “Everywhere.” Yes, this is a searchable option. You can choose to search for prices for an entire month of your choice if your dates are flexible, and it will arrange destinations in order of lowest to highest price. Let the inspiration begin.
- The boom in the “shared economy” means competition has gone up and prices have gone down. If you have been curious about trying AirBnb, Homeaway, or similar website, start looking for your dream vacation home or apartment now. There has also been some major consolidation among big hotel brands, meaning less competition and higher prices to come for hotel stays. At least there are more options overall!
- Travel apps have become plentiful and way better recently. Skyscanner, TripAdvisor, Roadtrippers, Airbnb, XE Currency Exchange, CityMaps2Go and Tripcase are some of my favs. Now they should pay me money for the plug, please.
Overall I would really like to make it known that you do not have to be rich to travel fairly comfortably, especially in 2016. So keep your eyes out for those deals and don’t put off you dream holiday any longer!
I would love to know where you are aspiring to travel to this year! Write a comment below or use the Contact button!