I want to travel the world in my twenties. I want to live in big cities in the United States, Europe, South Africa, and Japan (some other Asian countries as well) for up to a year at a time. Possibly in South America as well. I am open to almost all types of jobs. What should I do?
There are lots of options out there for jobs that allow you to travel. Here are some options:
- Airline Attendant. It is a popular choice and so it’s very competitive. You will need a college degree in communications, hospitality, or other related field. After college there are flight attendant programs that will help train you and possibly help find employment for you. Speaking multiple languages really helps too. If you get into this profession you will travel while you work and get discounts or free flights elsewhere.
- Seasonal jobs. This is a good choice if you want to get a temporary job in an interesting location. There are winter jobs in ski resort towns, summer jobs in parks and camps. There is a lot of variety. You can find out about them online at places like CoolWorks.com – Jobs in Great Places.
- Housesitting. This sometimes doesn’t actually pay, but might offer you free housing in a new place in exchange for taking care of the property. Here is just one website for this service: TrustedHousesitters.com
- Work Exchange. Again you usually don’t get paid, but you can work in exchange for housing and food. There are lots of resources out there for this including World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms, Helpx, and Home – Workaway International.
- English Teacher. If English is your first language than you have a desired skill in many countries. Getting a certificate with TEFL or TESL opens a lot of doors in this arena.
- Au Pair. If you like children, consider an au pair program that allows you to live with a family and help take care of their kids. Programs vary, but they usually include food, shelter, and a stipend. Check it out at Find your au pair or your host family today or similar site.
- A Job on the Internet. More and more jobs are becoming available online. You can be a virtual assistant, graphic designer, therapist, just to name a few and hope to earn some sort of income working remotely through the internet.
I hope this helps inspire you!